A judge in Texas is poised to weigh whether to grant a new trial for Karmelo Anthony, the teenager convicted of murder in the stabbing death of a fellow athlete at a high school track meet. The decision comes after a pivotal legal development: the judge who presided over the original trial was removed from the case Wednesday.

Judge Michael Chitty has been assigned to review the motion for a retrial in the killing of Austin Metcalf, a 17-year-old athlete. Anthony, now 19, was sentenced to 35 years in prison following his conviction earlier this summer. He appeared at Wednesday's hearing in a green prison jumpsuit, surrounded by his parents, while Metcalf's family also attended.

The defense's request for a new trial centers on allegations that the June proceedings were unfair. Anthony's attorneys argue that strict courtroom rules, flawed jury instructions, and a breakdown in negotiations over an agreement to focus the trial on the events leading up to the stabbing all tainted the outcome. Specifically, they claim that a dispute with prosecutors prevented Anthony from testifying in his own defense.

During the trial, jurors rejected Anthony's claim of self-defense. Witnesses testified that the confrontation erupted in the stadium bleachers after Anthony refused to leave a tent belonging to Metcalf's team on a rainy spring day. The dispute escalated, with prosecutors painting Anthony as the aggressor. According to a police report, Anthony reached into a bag and said, "Touch me and see what happens." Metcalf then pushed him, and Anthony pulled out a knife and stabbed him in the chest.

The case captured national attention, fueled by a torrent of social media posts that framed the killing in racial terms. Anthony is Black; Metcalf was white. However, lawyers on both sides told jurors that race played no role in the tragedy.

The recusal of Judge John Roach, who presided over the trial, was a significant victory for the defense. During a hearing Wednesday, Anthony's legal team focused on comments Roach made to a Dallas TV station after the trial. In the interview, when asked if the jury got it right, Roach responded, "Yeah, they did," adding, "Whatever they say, they got it right." Roach also defended his courtroom rules and addressed the onslaught of online postings about the case.

The families of both Metcalf and Anthony have reported being targets of harassment as national attention on the killing intensified. The case continues to draw scrutiny, with Thursday's hearing set to determine whether Anthony will receive a second chance to argue his innocence.