Conspiracy theorist Alex Jones secured a partial legal victory in Texas last week, but the financial storm he faces is far from over. A state appeals court threw out the bulk of a $50 million defamation award, slashing the punitive damages from more than $40 million to just $1.5 million. The ruling, issued on August 22, 2026, still leaves Jones liable for nearly $6 million in the case brought by relatives of Sandy Hook victims. Yet the bombastic Infowars founder, who has built a career on outrageous claims, remains under orders to pay over $1 billion in total damages across multiple lawsuits.

Jones and his company, Free Speech Systems, filed for bankruptcy in 2022 as the judgments mounted. The liquidation process forced him to surrender his Infowars platform, but he still broadcasts on other websites and social media, selling merchandise that generates millions annually. The Sandy Hook families have not received a cent from Jones, as he presses appeals in state and federal courts.

The Texas case centered on Jones' false assertion that the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting, which killed 20 first graders and six educators, was a staged hoax involving "crisis actors" designed to push gun control. Victims' relatives testified that Jones' followers subjected them to death threats, rape threats, and relentless harassment online and in person. Jones argued that there was no direct link between his words and the actions of others, though he later conceded under oath that the shooting did occur.

On Friday, the Texas Third Court of Appeals ruled that the original punitive damages award vastly exceeded the state's statutory cap. The decision cut the punitive portion from over $40 million to $1.5 million, leaving the rest of the judgment—including compensatory damages—intact. The court did not overturn the finding of defamation. Jones celebrated the ruling as a triumph for free speech, vowing to continue his appeals. "I got lawyers who are good constitutional lawyers, and they are not backing down," he said.

However, the Texas win has no bearing on the larger Connecticut case, where a jury awarded $1.4 billion in damages, later reduced to $1.25 billion on appeal. The U.S. Supreme Court declined to hear Jones' appeal last year, leaving that judgment standing. Mark Bankston, attorney for the Sandy Hook families in the Texas case, dismissed the ruling as irrelevant. "The families care not at all about this irrelevant ruling which affects only two of the 19 claims they all share. Jones still faces over a billion dollars of liability, so this changes absolutely nothing. All it does is highlight the absurdity of Texas law," Bankston said.

The saga of Alex Jones and Infowars traces back to the mid-1990s, when he was fired from an Austin radio station and began broadcasting from home on his Infowars website, which he launched for a $9 domain name. Over the decades, he peddled conspiracy theories about the Oklahoma City bombing, 9/11, and countless other events. His audience grew, and by 2024, he operated four studios in Austin and a warehouse for product sales. The bankruptcy and legal battles have since dismantled his empire.

Meanwhile, the satirical website The Onion has moved to take over Jones' Infowars platforms, aiming to turn his bullhorn of misinformation into a parody site. Jones took Infowars offline in April 2026. A proposed licensing deal that would grant The Onion temporary rights to Infowars' trademarks, copyrights, and intellectual property remains on hold during Jones' appeals. The Onion has already set up its own Infowars webpage, parodying the original—replacing the "o" in Infowars with an onion and selling merchandise like T-shirts and coffee mugs, with a portion of proceeds going to the Sandy Hook families.

As Jones continues to broadcast on alternative platforms, the families wait. The legal maze is far from resolved, and the billion-dollar question remains: will they ever collect?